Ear Wax & Syringing
If you know you have a wax problem causing deafness and that your ear is healthy, you can start this treatment for yourself. We recommend Olive Oil only as specially formulated preparations can cause irritation to healthy ears.
Put 2-3 drops of ordinary olive oil down the ear with your head tilted, leaving it tilted for at least 10 minutes or as long as possible morning and night for 2 weeks. This softens the wax and allows it to run out. Don't use cotton wool.
If we undertake ear syringing, the nurse will ensure that the risks are explained to you again, but they include:
- Ear infection
If you have a repeated build up of wax you can use olive oil twice a week to keep them clear.
If you have, or suspect, any kind of ear problem other than wax, you should NOT put anything down the ear except after medical advice.
Use olive oil when:
- Your ear is healthy and you think wax is causing your deafness - use for 2 weeks, or
- Your ear is healthy and you get regular blockages - use twice a week.
See the nurse / doctor when:
- You have discharge or bleeding
- You don't know what is causing your deafness
- You think there's a problem, or
- You still have a blockage after using olive oil for 2 weeks.